BARN BLOGS /1

 31/5/22

BARN BLOGS /1


Hi everyone! Today I had a really good riding lesson on Zen, a black Cob cross Fell 14.2hh pony. He started of rather lazy, doing a plodding walk around the sand school. We changed the rein and did a trot to wake him up before doing some no stirrups. We did this to get my lower leg in the correct position - underneath me - instead of bringing back to use it. It felt really strange having my leg so far forward - it felt like I was leaning back in a chair! When I had found the correct spot, we did some rising trot without stirrups (which almost killed my thighs) and then took back my stirrups. It really helped me in canter, when I was cantering Zen around the school and it helped me keep him going with out flapping my legs.We got six canters, all a circuit around the school or on a twenty-metre-circle. 


After my lesson I helped on the yard with the livery ponies - I caught a tiny, cute bay mare in from her field (her hunter green LeMiuex headcollar was so small it was adorable!) and the other girl caught a 13.3hh bay gelding. The tiny mare was so speedy coming down the lane to her stable. It was pouring with rain! The mare never went out at daytime, but her fieldmates were out of the yard so she had to be turned out. She hated being in the rain so really appreciated coming in. She charged down the leafy lane to her stable where I slipped off her headcollar and gave her a nice pat. We went up to the field again to get a grey mare and put her in her stall with her hay.


We then went back to the school to do the 30-minute lead rein lessons. In the first one there was only two ponies so it made our lives easier. I took Bubbles, a grey pony who is around 20 years old. He is the most energetic and speedy pony in the school. He was really good in the lesson.


In the second lesson I took Hector, a piebald cob pony. He was really cheeky and kept throwing his head about and wouldn't stand still. By the time we got to the top corner, he spun in a circle and the small girl on him looked quite panicked. I tried to calm him down but he had already gotten wound up and by the time the instructor came over he was fully wound up and he walked on, standing on my toes on the way. He then bit me and carried on being cheeky with the other girl. I think I lost my confidence a bit with Hector today, and I wonder if anyone reading this has had a similar experience? Tomorrow I'm helping out there for nearly the whole day and I might have to lead him. I hope it goes ok. Wish me luck!


See you soon,


MTLTH offline x



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BARN BLOGS /4